The activities that SGDRN (Sociedade para a Gestão e Desenvolvimento da Reserva do Niassa) were implementing were focused on preserving the natural biodiversity of Niassa wildlands, while creating a world class tourism destination, and contributing to the economic development and welfare of the Reserve’s resident.
The management of Niassa National Reserve was guided by a Management Plan. This document seeked to secure the long term conservation of the rich and unique biodiversity, and the pristine wilderness of Niassa for the present and future generations by:
(1) reducing pressure on natural resources;
(2) securing, managing and developing biodiversity;
(3) promoting alternative income generating activities for local communities;
(4) developing eco-tourism and hunting experiences for tourists; and
(5) establishing a decentralized model for the management of the Reserve through innovative partnerships between the public and private sectors and local communities.
To achieve its goals, SGDRN counted with a dedicated Mozambican management team, stationed deep inside the Reserve that focuses their attention on the following main components:
3. Reserve’s Protection,
4. Community Development,
5. Research and Monitoring, and
6. Tourism Development